KUALA LUMPUR: A key prosecution witness in Najib Razak’s corruption and abuse of power trial told the High Court he was unaware he had been placed under the witness protection programme.
“I don’t know but this is what the newspapers have been reporting,” former SRC director Suboh Md Yassin said when cross-examined by lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah.
He said Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officials had not provided security pending this trial.
“I live in a condominium and only its guards were there,” he said.
Najib, 66, is facing three counts of criminal breach of trust, one charge of abusing his position and three counts of money laundering over SRC International Sdn Bhd funds amounting to RM42 million.
The Pekan MP was charged with committing the offences at AmIslamic Bank Bhd on Jalan Raja Chulan and the Prime Minister’s Office in Putrajaya between Aug 17, 2011, and Feb 10, 2015.
The 42nd prosecution witness, however, told the court that he was listed among those who now could not travel overseas and that he did not negotiate with MACC officials to lift the ban.
He told the court he came to know that he was blacklisted soon after the Pakatan Harapan government came to power last year.
Suboh said he left for Jakarta soon after casting his vote on May 9 and was in the Indonesian capital until May 27.
“My son told me that I was on the list of people banned from travelling overseas,” he said, adding that he returned home soon after MACC officer Rauf Ghani contacted him.
Suboh had given a statement to the MACC on Nov 22, 2015, and was called by investigators six more times between May and August last year.
The hearing before judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali continues.