Govt seeks to call third parties to contest forfeiture suits

Forty-one individuals and entities including Umno divisions and branches are said to have received 1MDB money from former prime minister Najib Razak’s account.

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has set July 12, 19 and 26 to hear the government’s bid to publish notice and call interested parties to contest the forfeiture suits against nine individuals and organisations said to have received money allegedly from 1MDB.

Deputy public prosecutor Nik Haslinie Hashim said the High Court registrar fixed the dates when the nine forfeiture suits came up for mention today.

“Only six of them turned up in court today,” she added, referring to Naza Quest Auto Sdn Bhd, Yayasan Rahah, Ibrahim Awang Ismail, Pekan Umno, Habib Jewels Sdn Bhd and Johor Bahru Barisan Nasional.

Maran MP Ismail Abd Muttalib, SUPP and Kedah Umno were a no-show.

High Court deputy registrar Mahyudin Md Som fixed July 12 for hearing on publishing a third-party notice for Ismail, SUPP and Kedah Umno.

The court will also hear on the same day the government’s application to publish a third-party notice for the suits against Yayasan Rahah, Pekan Umno, Habib Jewels and Ibrahim Awang Ismail.

The nine forfeiture suits will be heard before High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali.

The suit against Johor Bahru BN is fixed on July 19 while the lawsuit against Naza Quest will be on July 26.

Last month, Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission chief commissioner Latheefa Koya said the agency had filed 41 forfeiture lawsuits against various individuals and organisations over funds allegedly channelled from former prime minister Najib Razak’s bank account.

The government is seeking to recover a total of RM270 million from them.