Reconsider composition of task force, urges Proham

Raymond Koh and Amri Che Mat.

PETALING JAYA: The Society for the Promotion of Human Rights (Proham) today urged the government to reconsider the appointment of current members of the task force tasked with probing the disappearance of pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat.

It said Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin should take note that any findings or recommendation by the task force, in its current composition, will inevitably be rejected by the public and civil society.

The NGO warned that it will then amount to nothing but wasted time and resources.

Therefore, Proham reiterated that only an independent task force will be able to investigate and recommend actions to be taken against those implicated.

“The task force should comprise of credible professional investigators and there must be proper terms of reference,” it said in a statement today.

The NGO said it was pleased that Bukit Aman Legal Division chief Mokhtar Mohd Noor had taken heed of public feedback and withdrawn from the task force.

However, it is concerned that there are other members of the task force who are perceived by the public to have equally significant conflicts of interest who have yet to withdraw.

“A review by Citizens Against Enforced Disappearances (CAGED) of the Suhakam report on Koh points out that there are five evidence-based conclusions of probable misconduct by nine police officers.”

In addition to Mokhtar, the members of the task force are Zamri Yahya, director of the police Integrity and Standards Compliance Department; Muhammad Bukhari Ab Hamid, director of operations at the Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission (EAIC); Mohd Sophian Zakaria, legal officer at the public prosecution division of the Attorney-General’s Chambers; and Mohd Russaini Idrus, secretary at the Police Force Commission (SPP) for the home ministry.

Muhyiddin said on Sunday a non-Malay may be added to the task force and a replacement for Mokhtar had been identified.