It’s murder, say cops on Sabah fish bombing incident

Two divers from China and a local diving instructor were killed in a blast believed to have been caused by fish bombs on July 5. (Facebook pic)

KOTA KINABALU: Police today confirmed that they were investigating the fish bombing incident that killed three divers off Semporna as pre-medidated murder.

Sabah deputy police chief Zaini Jass said they have re-classified the investigations under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

“Yes, there was an intent to kill, that is why our probe is now under Section 302.

“However, we have yet to establish the identity of the person or persons who did it. That is what we are working on at the moment,” Zaini told reporters at the state police contingent headquarters in Kepayan here.

Sabah police chief Omar Mammah had previously not ruled out pre-meditated murder in the incident on July 5, initially thought to be an accident involving fish bombs.

Two divers from China – Zhao Zhong and Xu Yingjie, both 26 – and a local diving instructor, Ab Zainal Abdu, 30, were killed off Pulau Kalapuan in Semporna.

Omar had also revealed that Zainal had received death threats last year, prompting the instructor to lodge a police report.

Police arrested a 24-year-old boatman and his assistant, 23, following the incident. Both are related to Zainal.

Later, police arrested another 10 people, including sea gypsies, for questioning.

A post-mortem on the divers revealed they had died of injuries sustained in the blast.