Ex-Tamil daily employees claim still waiting for compensation

Former Tamil Nesan workers outside the Gombak district police headquarters.

KUALA LUMPUR: About 40 former employees of Tamil daily Tamil Nesan which ceased operations in February lodged a police report today against the company for failing to provide monetary compensation as promised.

Former chief editor K Padmanabhan said the company had promised to pay their salaries until March 2019 but that there had been no news until now.

“We received our termination letters on Jan 28. The letter said the last working day was March 31, but that operations would end on Jan 30.

“We have received our salaries for February, but not for March,” he told reporters outside the Gombak district police headquarters here.

Padmanabhan also claimed the company had violated its obligation to pay Socso contributions for 39 months and Employees Provident Fund (EPF) contributions for five months.

He said deductions were made from their salaries but not paid to either EPF or Socso.

“This should be investigated under commercial crime,” he added.

Former sub-editor D Saraladevi said the company had agreed to pay the workers a total of RM1.4 million but that the agreement was not put down in writing.

“They said they needed three months to settle the payments after announcing that they would shut down, but it has been more than six months now and no answer.”

In January, Tamil Nesan managing director S Vell Paari said the paper, established in 1924, would have to close down as it had been facing financial problems for the past 10 years.