Cops release 5 in gay sex video probe

Bukit Aman CID director Huzir Mohamed. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: The five individuals who were nabbed along with former PKR Santubong chief Haziq Aziz over the gay sex video controversy have been released, Bukit Aman CID director Huzir Mohamed said.

Huzir said the five were released after their remand orders expired.

“They were released yesterday (July 18),” The Star quoted him as saying.

Huzir said Perak PKR chairman Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak was still under police custody.

On Monday, police obtained remand orders for six individuals, including Haziq, after they were arrested the night before in connection with an investigation into a series of gay sex videos targeted at Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali.

FMT has learnt that they are being investigated under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for the distribution of pornographic materials.

Previously, Haziq admitted to being one of two people in a viral video of two men engaging in sex acts.

He named Azmin as the other person in the video, a claim the PKR deputy president has strongly denied.

Police have so far arrested nine people on suspicion of distributing the tapes, including Haziq and Farhash, who is also PKR president Anwar Ibrahim’s political secretary.