Najib withdraws bid to quash SRC International charges

Najib Razak outside the court last week. The former prime minister today withdrew his appeal to quash 7 charges related to SRC International.

PUTRAJAYA: Former prime minister Najib Razak has decided not to pursue his appeal to quash seven charges of money laundering, abuse of power and criminal breach of trust (CBT) related to SRC International.

His lawyer Farhan Shafee told the Court of Appeal today that a notice of discontinuation was filed yesterday.

“The trial at the High Court has gone to an advanced stage and this appeal is no longer suitable,” he said.

So far, 54 witnesses have testified at the trial, which will run until Aug 15.

Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Izzat Fauzan said the prosecution team do not object on the withdrawal.

Farhan Shafee.

Court of Appeal judge Abdul Rahman Sebli then struck off Najib’s appeal.

The trial will continue at the High Court today.

Najib had sought to strike out the seven charges before his trial started on April 4, on grounds that the charges were ambiguous and that he would not be able to respond with a credible defence.

High Court trial judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali in dismissing the striking out application, had said there were no defects in the charges.

Najib is facing six charges of money laundering and CBT in the transfer of RM42 million to his account from SRC International.

He is also accused of abusing his power as prime minister by giving government guarantees on SRC International’s RM4 billion loan from Retirement Fund Inc (KWAP).