GUA MUSANG: A total of 173 Orang Asli from the Batek tribe, quarantined for 36 days after they were affected by measles, returned to their homes at Kampung Kuala Koh here this afternoon.
The Orang Asli had been been quarantined at a temporary evacuation centre at Taman Etnobotani here.
They were transported in eight vehicles arranged by various government agencies, accompanied by police vehicles from the Gua Musang district police headquarters.
Kelantan and Terengganu Orang Asli Development Department (Jakoa) director Hashim Alang Abdul Hamid said the Orang Asli had been housed at the centre since June 18 after receiving treatment at Gua Musang Hospital and Kuala Krai Hospital following the measles outbreak.
The department decided to send them home today after they were certified to be free of the disease, he told reporters.
The measles outbreak at Kampung Kuala Koh, which happened in early May, resulted in 15 deaths among the semi-nomadic Batek tribe.
One hundred and twelve others are still receiving treatment at the two hospitals.
Hashim said the homes at the Orang Asli settlement had been cleaned in a gotong royong programme.