Teen in botched circumcision gets RM150,000 in out-of-court deal

The boy lost the head of his penis in a circumcision carried out at a residence in Kuala Lipis, Pahang, in 2010.

KUALA LUMPUR: A 19-year-old teenager, who lost the head of his penis in a botched circumcision procedure when he was 10 years old, today received RM150,000 in an out-of-court settlement with a government medical assistant.

The teenager’s counsel, Mohamad Zainuddin Abu Bakar, said the medical assistant with the Kuala Lipis hospital, the first of six defendants in the suit heard in the High Court, agreed to compensate a sum of RM150,000 to his client.

“This sum was proposed by the court during discussions for a settlement and we have agreed to it,” Zainuddin told reporters after case proceedings in the chambers of judge Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamad, who then recorded the out-of-court settlement.

Zainuddin said the defendant had also asked for the amount to be paid in monthly instalments of RM2,500 over a period of five years but this request was rejected.

“The court then fixed Aug 5 to decide on the terms of payment,” he said.

Zainuddin said case management of his client’s notice of appeal against the court’s decision on Feb 20 to allow an application by the government and four other defendants to strike out the suit has been fixed for Aug 6 at the Court of Appeal.

In addition to the government, the four defendants were the medical officer and a director at Kuala Lipis Hospital (KLH), a specialist and a director at Selayang Hospital.

The teenager filed the suit on July 19 last year through his mother, claiming that the medical assistant had carried out the circumcision procedures on two boys, including her son, at a residence in Kuala Lipis, Pahang, at 10am on Dec 13, 2010 with the knowledge and permission of the KLH medical officer and director.

She claimed the medical assistant did not follow the stipulated procedures and cut off the entire head of her son’s penis. He attempted to stitch the severed part back but it was not performed correctly.

The mother said the boy was sent to Selayang Hospital where surgery was carried out to reattach the severed part but 35 days later, she was shocked to find out that her son’s penis was without its glans.

She claimed a specialist at Selayang Hospital had assured her that her son’s penis glans would grow as he got older, but at the age of 17, it did not.

As a result, she claimed her son had suffered permanent disability and had become a quiet person who made friends only with children.

The mother said she had to fork out a huge sum for her son’s treatment at Selayang Hospital and for legal consultation, amounting to more than RM100,000.

She is seeking general and special damages, as well as interest and other costs which the court deems fit.