KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has ordered six students from the National Defence University of Malaysia (UPNM) to enter their defence for murder-related charges over the death of navy cadet Zulfarhan Osman Zulkarnain two years ago.
Judge Azman Abdullah ruled that the prosecution had proven a prima facie case against the six for murder and abetment.
“The court orders all accused persons to enter their defence,” he said in the packed courtroom here today.
Muhammad Akmal Zuhairi Azmal, Azamuddin Md Sofi, Muhammad Najib Mohd Razi, Muhammad Afif Najmudin Azahat and Mohamad Shobirin Sabri are accused of murdering Zulfarhan while Abdoul Hakeem Mohd Ali is said to have abetted.
The alleged crime took place in a room at UPNM’s Jebat hostel block on May 22, 2017.
Another 12 individuals accused of assaulting Zulfarhan to force him to confess to stealing a laptop were also ordered to answer the assault charges.
They were accused of assaulting Zulfarhan between May 21 and 22, 2017 at the same hostel block.
A total of 29 witnesses for the prosecution testified during the trial which began in January last year.
The trial will resume on Oct 2 and 3. Subsequent trial dates are fixed from Nov 4 to 7, Nov 18 to 20 and Dec 3 to 4.
Lawyers Amer Hamzah, Ranjit Singh Dhillon, Zamri Idrus, Mohd Fadly Hashim, AG Kalidas, Hazizah Kassim, M Ramachelvam and Azizul Shariman represented those accused of murder and assault while deputy public prosecutor Julia Ibrahim represented the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
Zulfarhan’s father, Zulkarnian Idros, who was present in court today, said he was thankful for the decision favouring the family.
“I thank everyone who offered their prayers for my son so that he can get justice,” he said.
His wife, Hawa Osman, said she can still feel her son’s presence more than two years after his death.
“I still hear his voice asking when is Hari Raya,” she said.