Prosecution closes case on Ku Nan’s RM2 million bribery charge

Former federal territories minister Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution in Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor’s RM2 million bribery case today wrapped up its case against the former federal territories minister, who is accused of receiving the bribe from businessman Chai Kin Kong.

Deputy public prosecutor Julia Ibrahim told the High Court that all the prosecution’s witnesses, including Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) investigating officer Muhamad Saad Borhani, had been called to testify.

“We will be offering witnesses from MACC and the Kuala Lumpur City Hall for the defence,” she said.

It is understood that 10 people are on the list of prosecution witnesses to be offered to the defence.

High Court judge Zaini Mazlan then ordered the prosecution as well as Tengku Adnan’s lawyer, Tan Hock Chuan, to file their submissions and replies before Sept 18.

“The court will set Oct 4 and 11 to hear oral submissions and clarification,” he said.

Zaini added that Tengku Adnan’s trial had taken 12 days to complete, with no delays to the dates fixed.

“I thank the prosecution and defence teams for their professionalism. It was a pleasant trial,” he said.

Tengku Adnan, popularly known as Ku Nan, was accused of receiving RM2 million from Chai, the director of Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd, despite knowing that the businessman’s companies had dealings with the federal territories ministry which was under him at the time.

The offence was allegedly committed at the Pusat Bandar Damansara CIMB bank branch here on June 14, 2016.

The charge was framed under Section 165 of the Penal Code, under which it is an offence for a public servant to obtain valuables without consideration.

Those found guilty can be jailed for up to two years and fined.

MACC investigating officer Saad earlier testified that he had not seen any of the expenses allegedly spent on the Kuala Kangsar and Sungai Besi by-elections in 2016 during the investigation stage.

“Tan Sri (Chai) said the RM2 million was meant for political donations in the by-elections, to which I do not agree,” he said.

He added that his investigation team had found no indication that the money was deposited into Umno’s bank account.