2 men caught fish bombing in Semporna

Marine police have been on the alert following the deaths of two Chinese tourists and a local diving coach due to fish bombing in waters off Semporna on July 5

SEMPORNA: Marine police have arrested two men suspected of fishing with explosives.

Sabah Region 4 marine commander Mohamad Pajeri Ali said the men, aged 28 and 22, were detained at 1.30pm yesterday following information obtained by the Semporna Marine Intelligence Unit on fish-bombing activities near Kampung Tobo-Tobo

“Semporna PPM seized a boat and its 22-year-old skipper from Kampung Bangau Bangau here with a 28-year-old crewman, also from the same village.

“On inspecting the boat, police found 5kg of fish caught from their bombing activities,” he said in a statement here today.

Pajeri said the two men and the confiscated assets worth RM9,300, including the boat, were brought to the Semporna marine operation headquarters for further action.

The case will be investigated under Section 26 (1) ( c) of the Fisheries Act 1985 which provides for a maximum fine of RM20,000 and a maximum jail term of two years upon conviction.

The marine police had earlier identified 36 areas, including 24 islands in Sabah and Labuan, which are often targetted for fish bombing activities.

Pajeri said fish bombers often targeted shallow waters with coral reefs, oilfields and coastal waters offshore to engage in such activities.

Marine police had been on alert following the incident where fish bombs had resulted in the deaths of two Chinese tourists and a local diving coach in waters off Semporna on July 5.