Gas explosion victim in critical condition, says son

State executive councillor Yeoh Soon Hin visited the Lee family whose flat in Paya Terubong was damanged in a cooking gas explosion yesterday.

GEORGE TOWN: An elderly man is in critical condition after suffering extensive burns in a cooking gas explosion at his home in a Paya Terubong flat yesterday.

The family of Lee Kon Eang, 62, said he is in intensive care after sustaining 80% burns all over his body, after he unknowingly tried to light up his cigarette in a room filled with leaked cooking gas.

The family flat of Lee Kon Eang, 62, suffered extensive damage. He is in critical condition after suffering 80% burns.

Lee’s son, Chye Soon, said the family were in shock and were praying for his father’s recovery.

“We are not staying there any more. Now contractors are coming to fix our house. We will move to my mother-in-law’s house, after staying here for 15 years,” he said when reporters called at his house today.

Chye Soon and his family brought state executive councillor Yeoh Soon Hin to visit their rubble-filled 650 sq ft flat on the 20th floor. The blast destroyed the wall separating the flat from his neighbour’s. Lee’s son, daughter-in-law and grandchild were unhurt as they were in another room at the time. The neighbours were also unhurt.

Executive councillor Yeoh Soon Hin having a word with Fire & Rescue officers.

Yeoh said the Welfare Department would give RM500 cash aid to the Lee family.