Govt to recover RM1.2 million in alleged 1MDB funds

KUALA LUMPUR: Three entities and an individual named in the government’s forfeiture lawsuits have agreed to return over RM1.2 million allegedly received from 1MDB.

Deputy public prosecutor Allan Suman Pillai told the High Court today that the government had accepted the representations by Yayasan Rahah, Naza Quest Auto Sdn Bhd and Ibrahim Awang Ismail to settle the suits out of court.

“We request for another date to record the consent judgments for them,” he said.

Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali then set Sept 6 to record consent judgments for Yayasan Rahah and Ibrahim, who is a Pekan Umno member.

Naza Quest’s consent judgment was fixed on Sept 13.

The government is seeking to forfeit RM839,488.82 from Yayasan Rahah, RM269,662 from Naza Quest and RM100,000 from Ibrahim.

Naza Quest previously said the money was received as payment for the purchase of four Chevrolet cars between December 2012 and 2013.

The court also set Aug 30 for a decision on whether to allow the application by Pekan Umno to annul the government’s forfeiture suit against it, and to hear the prosecution’s application to issue a gazette to call third parties.

Lawyer M Reza Hassan, representing Pekan Umno, had argued that the government failed to identify the office bearer in the suit.

Deputy public prosecutor Maziah Mahade replied that the subject of dispute was the bank account registered under the Pekan Umno branch.

“We named the owner registered for the bank account so it is appropriate for us to name them,” she added.

The government is seeking to forfeit RM700,000 from the Pekan Umno branch.

This is part of the RM270 million which the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission is seeking to recover from 41 individuals and organisations in funds allegedly channelled from former prime minister Najib Razak’s account.