Hearing of Cradle Fund murder case postponed

Samirah Muzaffar and two teenage boys are accused of the murder of her husband, Cradle Fund boss Nazrin Hassan.

SHAH ALAM: The High Court has postponed the hearing of a murder trial in which the wife of Cradle Fund chief executive Nazrin Hassan was accused of having killed him together with two teenage boys and an Indonesian still at large.

The trial was set to begin tomorrow. It has been postponed to a date yet to be fixed.

The accused are Nazrin’s wife, Samirah Muzaffar, 44, two boys aged 17 and 14, and an Indonesian, Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large.

Deputy public prosecutor Noor Mawarni Halim said the defence had earlier applied to the High Court here for the postponement as the lawyers are also involved in the trial of former prime minister Najib Razak in the 1Malaysia Development Berhad case at Kuala Lumpur High Court.

“The defence also requested for the murder trial to be held on every Friday, and the new dates would be decided soon,” Noor Mawarni said when contacted here today.

The hearing dates had been set in April, and the trial was to be held from Sept 3-15 and Sept 23-Oct 4.

The defence lawyers are Muhammad Shafee Abdullah and Hisyam Teh Poh Teik.

Muhammad Shafee represents Nazrin’s wife Samirah, a former senior executive at Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia. Hisyam is the counsel for the two boys.

The three accused have claimed trial to committing murder last year at a house at Mutiara Homes near here, between 11.30pm on June 13 and 4am on June 14, 2018.

The charge carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

The two teenagers have been allowed RM50,000 bail each, with eight conditions among which were that they are not to stay with family members who are witnesses in the case; they must be at home from 6pm until 6am every day; and they are barred from leaving the country.

On May 28, the Federal Court allowed Samirah to be released on RM500,000 bail with two sureties pending trial.