KOTA KINABALU: Police hope to wrap up investigations soon over the fatal shooting of army commander Major Mohd Zahir Armaya during a live-fire demonstration exercise earlier last week.
Sabah police chief Omar Mammah said they had recorded statements from the relevant people, including the army personnel believed to be involved in the shooting.
“We have recorded the statement from a 36-year-old soldier who was part of the demonstration where live ammunition was used,” he said, when contacted by FMT.
Asked whether foul play was involved, he said: “Our investigations have found this incident was accidental.
“But we are still investigating and I can’t divulge much of the details for now.”
Zahir, who is the son of veteran comedian and actor AR Badul, was part of a demonstration which used live bullets at the Lok Kawi army camp near here when the incident happened at 8.25am on Wednesday.
The exercise was held to mark the launch of the Fifth Division and 13th Brigade of the Malaysian Infantry.
Zahir, who is believed to have worn a bullet-proof vest, took on the role of a terrorist in the demonstration.
He “shot” at personnel from the Fifth Division and 13th Brigade and, as part of the show, they returned fire. Zahir collapsed, prompting other army officers and personnel to rush to his aid.
He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital here but was pronounced dead at 9.20am.
Zahir leaves a wife and five children, aged between five months and nine.