KLANG: The environment ministry will focus on curbing open burning activities in Selangor as part of efforts to address the haze problem plaguing the country, the ministry’s deputy secretary-general, Dr K Nagulendran said.
Notices had been issued to the parties concerned to stop all open burning activities, he said. ”Our focus is to ensure no open burning is carried out by any party to prevent the haze from worsening and stern action will be taken against those who violate the directive issued by the government.”
Air quality was at “very unhealthy” levels in Johan Setia, Klang; Tangkak, Johor, and Samarahan and Kuching, Sarawak.
“Unhealthy” air quality was recorded in Sarawak and large parts of the Peninsula, from central Perak, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, Selangor, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, and Johor.
Nagulendran visited an open burning site in Johan Setia today with deputy director-general of environment Norhazni Mat Sari and Selangor director of environemnt Shafee Yasin.
Shafee said the cloud seeding would be conducted in Selangor if necessary.
”At the Selangor Economic Action Council meeting on Thursday, the state government agreed to adopt the National Haze Action Plan. The cloud seeding process will depend on the current situation and we have also activated the District Disaster Management Committee,” he added.