PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd is working on improving its contingency plans to prevent a recurrence of last month’s systems disruption at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which resulted in flight delays, long queues and unhappines and frustration among travellers.
MAHB said “hard lessons” were learnt from the disruption, which it said was unprecedented in the airport’s history.
“Our Business Continuity Management unit is already working on a list of improvements to further fortify our contingency plans and prevent a recurrence,” the airport operator said in a statement.
Last month MAHB identified network failure as the cause of the disruption of the system which affected key functions such as WiFi connection, flight information display system, check-in counters and the baggage handling system.
MAHB said operations had been running normally at the main terminal since Sept 2. “However, our IT teams are continuing to monitor the stability and performance of the network and systems.”
A police investigation into the breakdown is being carried out.
MAHB said that before the system disruption occurred, a Digital Transformation programme had been started last year which would result in refreshing the Total Airport Management Systems – a world first when introduced in 1997 – which “integrates information flows for operations, management and security.”
Among the measures being taking include the use of interactive digital displays and single-token facial recognition.