JOHOR BAHRU: Police have arrested a 35-year-old man for allegedly attempting to abduct a three-year-old girl at the Johor Bahru City Square on Sept 9.
Johor Bahru Selatan district police chief Shahurinain Jais, in a statement today, said the suspect was alleged to have approached the child and tried to take her away.
He was stopped in time by her parents. He managed to get away in a vehicle before police arrived at the scene.
The man was arrested two days ago at a house on Jalan Tombak 2, Taman Sri Tebrau, here, following a public tip-off after the attempted abduction went viral on Facebook.
Upon arrest, the suspect told police that he had been experiencing family problems and stress because his Vietnamese wife was planning to take their two children back to Vietnam due to many debts owed to loan sharks.
The suspect had wanted to take the toddler back to his home, with the intention of caring for her as his own child, Shahurinain said, adding that the man had not admitted to any involvement in child abduction activities or a syndicate.
The suspect has been remanded until Sept 17 to facilitate further investigations.