Rewcastle-Brown gets another month to file defence in RM100 mil defamation suit

Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown.

KUALA LUMPUR: Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown has been given another month to file her defence in a RM100 million defamation suit filed by the former special officer to ex-attorney-general Mohamed Apandi Ali.

Lawyer R Venothani, who appeared for Mabel Sheila Muttiah, said a High Court deputy registrar allowed the application.

The London-based defendant now has to file her defence by Oct 21. She was earlier scheduled to meet the Sept 18 deadline.

Lawyer Lim Qi Si appeared for Rewcastle-Brown. Last month she appointed legal firm Suflan T H Liew & Partners to contest the suit.

Venothani said the legal firm wrote to them recently asking for an extension of time to file the defence as Rewcastle-Brown was currently overseas.

“We had no objection but it was subject to approval by the court,” she told reporters after a case management today.

Venothani said the parties would also know on Oct 21 the judge who will preside over the case.

In her statement of claim, Mabel is asking for aggravated and exemplary damages, together with an injunction against causing further defamation, as well as a mandatory order for Rewcastle-Brown to remove the posting from the website.

The Sarawak Report article, titled “How AG’s Office connived to prevent a second post-mortem on Kevin Morais – exclusive expose”, had alleged that Mabel had sent texts to the family members of the late deputy public prosecutor urging them to expedite the cremation of his remains to prevent a second post-mortem.

The remains of Morais were found in a steel drum after he was kidnapped from his car on the way to work in September 2015.

A former army doctor and five others have been charged with his murder and the trial is going on.