IPOH: Perak executive councillor Paul Yong, who is facing a charge of raping an Indonesian maid, today announced he was returning to work.
The Tronoh assemblyman, who is the state exco for housing, local government, public transport, non-Muslim affairs and new villages, said he made the decision after discussing with Menteri Besar Ahmad Faizal Azumu.
“The MB supports me to return to work as usual,” he said in a statement.
Yong had announced that he was going on leave to focus on his trial which began on Nov 11.
Earlier this week, Faizal advised him to take leave from official duties.
Meanwhile, Perak speaker Ngeh Koo Ham said Yong is still an exco member and is free to answer questions during assembly sittings.
“The MB decides who answers questions, the MB makes the decision, I just chair the sittings,” he told reporters.
Yong, 49, was arrested on July 9 following a police report filed by a 23-year-old Indonesia woman accusing him of raping her.
The alleged offence was committed in a house in Meru near Ipoh. Yong was released on police bail.