Paul Yong’s duty to return to work, says Perak MB

Tronoh assemblyman Paul Yong at the Perak state assembly last week. (Facebook pic)

PETALING JAYA: Perak Menteri Besar Ahmad Faizal Azumu today defended exco member Paul Yong’s decision to return to work despite his ongoing trial for a charge of raping an Indonesian maid.

Faizal said Yong had filed an application on Nov 13 for his case to be transferred from the Ipoh Sessions Court to the High Court.

“Pending the High Court’s decision on the said application, Yong owes a duty to his constituency to attend the ongoing state assembly, as well as to answer questions in his role as housing, local government, public transport, non-Muslim affairs and new villages exco.

“Therefore, he will resume his duties as a state executive council member and Tronoh assemblyman,” he said in a statement today.

Yong, whose trial began on Nov 11, had come under fire for his decision to return to work after taking a leave of absence to focus on his trial.

His return to work was also the subject of a widely-shared audio clip, purportedly of a prominent Perak DAP leader criticising Yong for his decision.

He was arrested on July 9 following a police report filed by a 23-year-old Indonesian woman accusing him of raping her in a house in Meru, near Ipoh. He was later released on police bail.

He recently said he had the approval of “leaders from around the country” to return to his duties, although he stopped short of mentioning any names.