No comment, Mat Sabu says on Chin Peng’s ‘homecoming’

Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu.

KUALA LUMPUR: Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu today declined to comment when asked about reports that the ashes of communist leader Chin Peng had been brought back to Malaysia.

When met by reporters in Parliament, he said he would only comment once the home ministry completes its investigation.

“The home ministry is investigating; let them investigate,” he said.

Malaysiakini reported yesterday that Chin Peng, who died in 2013, had “returned home” on Sept 16 this year.

His ashes were allegedly brought back from Thailand and scattered at sea as well as on a hillside near Chemor, Perak.

The committee handling the ashes said a memorial ceremony attended by over 150 people was also held.

Chin Peng, whose real name was Ong Boon Hua, died at the age of 89.

He was the secretary-general of the Communist Party of Malaya.