KUALA LUMPUR: PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli today hoped the attorney-general (AG) will act against a former minister’s family in the National Feedlot Corporation (NFC) case.
His comments followed an announcement that the public prosecutor’s office had filed an appeal against his acquittal last month for allegedly leaking details of bank accounts of NFC and its subsidiary companies.
Rafizi and former bank officer Johari Mohamad were freed by the Shah Alam High Court last month on charges filed against him under Banking and Financial Institutions Act (Bafia).
“I hope he is as diligent to bring to justice the ex-minister’s family members who benefited from the RM250 million (loan),” he posted on Twitter today.
Rafizi also attached the notice from the court’s registrar asking both the prosecution and Rafizi to attend his appeal mention on March 9 next year.
Meanwhile, Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman took the AG to task for filing the appeal.
“He (Rafizi) spoke up in the interest of the Malaysian public,
“As PH’s youth leader, I stand in solidarity with Rafizi,” he said in a WhatsApp message.
PKR’s Central Leadership Council member Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad said the appeal is not the right thing to do because it involves taxpayers’ money.
The Pakatan Harapan government, in June, had filed a suit against NFC, its CEO and directors as well as six subsidiary companies to recover RM253.6 million that was loaned to them.
The CEO of the company is former minister Shahrizat Abdul Jalil’s husband, Salleh Ismail. Shahrizat’s children Wan Shahinur Izran, Wan Shahinur Izmir and Wan Izzana Fatimah Zabedah are the directors.
The government is seeking a declaration that Salleh’s family is responsible for the repayment of the loan.
Putrajaya is also making a claim for the undeclared profits accruing from the mismanagement of the funds loaned, as well as property purchased with the funds.
The government, in its lawsuit, claimed the family made 10 withdrawals totalling RM180.51 million from Jan 24, 2008 to Jan 3, 2011.
Of the RM180.51 million withdrawn, only RM8.32 million was paid directly to third parties to conduct the National Feedlot Centre project.
The balance of the withdrawn funds was transferred to other NFC accounts and a total of RM118.04 million from this balance was allegedly misused.
It was claimed that a total of RM9.76 million was abused to purchase a unit at One Menerung Residence as well as purchasing two plots of land in Putrajaya, making payment to two legal firms and purchasing a four-storey shophouse at Solaris Mont Kiara.
Salleh was charged with criminal breach of trust (CBT) and misuse of company funds in the NFC case but the charges were later dropped due to insufficient evidence, according to former attorney-general Apandi Ali.
Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng had said that NFC still owes the government a sum of RM253,618,455 according to the complete statement of federal government loans from the Accountant-General’s Department.
He added the government wants to seek full repayment of the loan to NFC.