Bukit Aman confirms ex-Anwar staff to be called up

KUALA LUMPUR: Federal police headquarters have confirmed that the Classified Criminal Investigation Unit have taken up the investigations into allegations by a former research assistant, Muhammed Yusoff Rawther, that he was sexually assaulted by PKR president Anwar Ibrahim.

A principal assistant director at Bukit Aman, Mior Faridalathrash Wahid, said Yusoff would be called to give his statement following the police report he lodged yesterday and a statutory declaration in which he alleged he was assaulted by his former employer.

“Bukit Aman Classified Criminal Investigation Unit will be taking Muhammed Yusoff’s statement at noon tomorrow…his lawyer has been informed of the matter,” Mior said when contacted by Bernama.

FMT reported this morning that federal police had taken up the investigations. A highly-placed source said any involvement of Bukit Aman would mean that the police were treating the case with “utmost seriousness” and that D5 (Classified Criminal Investigation Unit) would mean it is regarded as a no-nonsense case.

Last week Yusoff made public a sworn statement alleging that he was sexually assaulted by the PKR president on Oct 2 last year.

Anwar has denied the allegation, saying it was politically motivated, coming on the eve of the PKR national congress. He said he was campaigning in the Port Dickson by-election that day.