Melaka cops nab 6 over brawl at PKR Youth congress

The two factions of PKR Youth during a scuffle at the Melaka International Trade Centre on Friday.

MELAKA: Police have detained six men to assist in investigations into the brawl which took place during the PKR Youth national congress at the Melaka International Trade Centre on Friday.

Melaka police chief Mat Kasim Karim said the men, aged between 19 and 30, were picked at various locations from Friday until yesterday.

He said the case is being investigated under Section 148 of the Penal Code.

“The six are among 14 individuals identified so far who can assist in the investigations into the brawl involving two groups from the party. All have been released on bail after their statements were recorded.

“We initially detained two members of the party from Kuala Lumpur and Klang and then another one from Banting. Three more party members were detained as a result of our intelligence,” he told a press conference here today.

Mat Kasim said eight more individuals, who had been identified and their photographs distributed, were urged to go to the Melaka police contingent headquarters to have their statements taken.

He also said 15 witnesses, including members of the party, have been asked to give statements to the police on the incident and five reports had been received so far.

PKR Youth lodges 2 police reports on ‘plan’ to disrupt congress

Meanwhile, PKR Youth today lodged two police reports on an alleged plan to cause a commotion at the youth congress.

The wing’s secretary, Ahmad Syukri Che Ab Razab, said the reports were based on screenshots of Whatsapp group chats which showed that “something was being planned”.

He said the reports were lodged by PKR Youth representatives from Melaka and Terengganu at the Batu Berendam police station.

He urged the authorities to investigate if there was a mastermind behind the “plan” and whether it had anything to do with the brawl on Friday.