IPOH: The Immigration Department yesterday arrested 65 Chinese nationals for alleged involvement in an online scam here.
Perak immigration director-general Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the suspects, aged between 17 and 55, were caught by surprise when a raiding party stormed two three-storey houses in Gerbang Maju Rapat at 3.30pm.
He said many tried to escape.
“Some of them tried to act aggressively but we managed to control the situation and prevented them from escaping.
“All of them are believed to have been carrying out the online activities since last week,” he said.
Officers seized various equipment including 232 mobile phones, 45 laptops, 26 computer monitors, a credit card swipe machine, 140 bank cards and 47 Chinese identity cards.
Khairul said the suspects, who included four women, have been detained for investigation for not having valid travel documents and for abusing social visit or work passes.
He said the immigration will work with other agencies such as Bank Negara Malaysia, police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission to curb online scams.
Khairul meanwhile denied claims that immigration officers were involved in the Cyberjaya online scam syndicate which was busted on Nov 20.
He said all the 680 Chinese nationals arrested in the raid will be charged in the Sepang Sessions Court today and Monday, adding that the Chinese embassy had been informed.
“On the part of the immigration, once their case has been disposed of, they will be deported and blacklisted from entering Malaysia forever,” he said.
He said the department had arrested 941 Chinese nationals in various operations against online scams, including 680 individuals on Nov 20 in Cyberjaya, 104 on Nov 26 in Sabah, 52 on Nov 29 in Sarawak, and 105 in Perak on Dec 9 and 12.