PM halts withdrawal of critical service allowance

Dr Mahathir Mohamad has agreed to the postponement of the withdrawal of the critical service allowance pending discussion in the Cabinet, says Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman. (Instagram pic)

PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has agreed to postpone the ending of the critical service allowance for civil servants, says Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman.

Syed Saddiq said this after discussing the issue with Mahathir.

“The PM has agreed to postpone the new circular on the critical service allowance and to discuss the matter at the next Cabinet meeting,” he said.

Syed Saddiq had previously spoken out against Putrajaya ending the RM750 monthly allowance for new recruits in the civil service from Jan 1.

Many social media users shared his sentiments and urged the government to appreciate the contributions of medical staff and engineers, who are among those affected, towards the country.

Last year, the government had listed 33 professions as eligible for the critical service allowance. They included medical officers, medical researchers, pharmacists, architects, engineers and assistant engineers, agricultural and marine engineers and legal officers.

But recently, most of these jobs were taken out of the critical service list.

The Public Service Department has said no current staff, permanent or temporary, will be affected by this move and will continue to receive the allowance, known as BIPK, under the existing rates until they leave the service.

Contractual service officers still qualify to receive the allowance as long as they are reappointed by contract continuously with no disruption in their service duration, up until the contract expires.

However, those employed in the public sector, starting in January, will no longer enjoy the incentive under the proposed cut.