PETALING JAYA: PPBM has dismissed the need for the ruling coalition to discuss who will replace Maszlee Malik as the education minister, saying it was Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s prerogative as the prime minister to appoint a successor.
Maszlee resigned from the post on Thursday on Mahathir’s advice, 20 months after he was appointed.
In a statement today, PPBM information chief Radzi Jidin noted that names of potential replacements had been raised, and suggestions made that Pakatan Harapan should discuss the appointment.
However, he said the prime minister had the constitutional prerogative to advise the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to appoint a minister from among members of Parliament.
“This means there is no need for the prime minister to discuss the appointment of a minister in any special meeting unless he thinks otherwise,” he said.
“In this context there is no need for PH to hold discussions to appoint a successor from PPBM,” he said in a statement.
Earlier today, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng was quoted as saying that Pakatan Harapan should hold discussions pertaining to Maszlee’s successor as “everyone has his own views”.
Asked by reporters in Penang about who might be appointed, Lim had said: “I do not know who will be appointed because I am not the Prime Minister … but I am sure that the successor must be someone from Pakatan Harapan
“I think it is best that we discuss it together in Pakatan Harapan. Everyone has his own views, let us discuss it…it is for the better.”
Maszlee, the Simpang Renggam MP, is from PPBM.
Radzi called on all quarters to respect the prime minister’s prerogative to pick a new education minister.