No hanky-panky in awarding of contracts, says sports ministry

A statement from the youth and sports ministry says there is no misappropriation and misuse of power under the leadership of minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman.

PETALING JAYA: The youth and sports ministry has refuted allegations that it has given contracts to GK Sports and Recreation Sdn Bhd, which is said to be linked to one of the 17 people arrested during an anti-narcotics raid last Sunday.

This follows a Malay Mail report where lawyer-activist Asheeq Ali Sethi Alivi urged the ministry to reveal information on its latest dealings with the company, which is owned by a Malaysian Gymnastics Federation (MGF) official.

The ministry said GK Sports had not been awarded any new contracts since Pakatan Harapan (PH) formed the new government, adding that it was not true that it had new dealings with the company.

The ministry said it always adhered to the procedures set by the finance ministry for procuring supplies and services.

“Under the leadership of Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman, the youth and sports minister, there is no misappropriation and misuse of power regarding the ministry’s acquisitions procedure,” it said in a statement today.

Earlier today, quoting sources, news portal The Malaysian Insight reported that the businessman had provided drugs and women, and organised gambling sessions for guests in order to get government contracts.

Asheeq then called on the ministry to reveal its relationship with GK Sports, questioning if the company was in the process of acquiring a tender from it.

Police have confirmed the arrest of 17 people during the raid at a condominium in Puchong but have refused to disclose their identities.

Selangor PPBM chairman Abdul Rashid Ansari has confirmed that a state assemblyman who is a member of the party had been arrested.

Dengkil assemblyman Adhif Syan Abdullah has denied allegations on social media that he was among those arrested but admitted that he was at the site of the raid when it took place.