RM366 million worth of assets seized from Penang drug kingpin

IGP Abdul Hamid Bador says a follow-up operation was carried out to cripple the drug syndicate by seizing assets linked to the suspects in the case.

KUALA LUMPUR: The police narcotics division at Bukit Aman has seized assets worth over RM366 million linked to the suspects in the country’s largest cocaine bust at Butterworth port last September.

The follow-up operation on Jan 16 called Ops Eagle Diamond was an attempt to cripple the drug syndicate by confiscating various assets linked to the suspects and their associates.

The seized assets included over RM143 million in company stocks, properties worth RM198 million, vehicles valued at RM2.7 million, and approximately RM52,000 in jewellery.

The seizure was carried out under Section 3 and 4 of the Dangerous Drugs (Forfeiture of Property) Act 1988.

Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador said the Narcotics Criminal Investigation Department (NCID) had raided a warehouse at the Prai Industrial Estate at Seberang Prai, Penang.

He said the police seized an additional five kilogrammes worth of syabu and materials and equipment used to produce the drug.

Eight men were remanded for further investigations. The eight – two Malaysians, one Myanmar national and one Chinese national – were detained at the scene.

Hamid said they were being investigated under Section 39(B) of the Dangerous Drugs Act.

However, he added that the drug kingpin from Penang had fled to a neighbouring country and police were working with the country’s authorities to locate and arrest the suspect.

Police in September last year confirmed the seizure of 12 tonnes of cocaine, worth RM2.4 billion, at the Butterworth Port. The drugs were disguised as coal.