Another Malaysian tests positive for coronavirus after China trip

The latest Malaysian coronavirus victim had returned from mainland China early this month.

PETALING JAYA: A Malaysian who returned from China on Feb 1 has tested positive for the coronavirus, says the health ministry.

Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the 31-year-old was working in Macau and visited the mainland before returning earlier this month.

He is the 18th person to test positive for the virus in the country and the sixth Malaysian.

“He began feeling unwell and started coughing on Feb 3, and on Feb 4 and 6, he went to a clinic and received medication.

“On Feb 7, he was still unwell and sought treatment from a Klinik Kesihatan and on the same day he was referred to Hospital Banting for checks and treatment.”

The man was found to be suffering from Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SARI). His case was referred to Hospital Sungai Buloh for further investigation, where he tested positive for the coronavirus.

Noor Hisham said the Selangor Health Department and the Kuala Langat District Health Office have been instructed to carry out contact tracing and take preventive and control measures.

“I urge the people in Banting to remain calm, the health ministry has taken the necessary steps and will provide updates from time to time.”