Business as usual for health ministry as DG takes charge

Vigilance is being maintained at the country’s entry points. Only two more patients are left in the isolation ward as 20 of the 22 cumulative Covid-19 cases have been discharged.

PETALING JAYA: It is business as usual for the health ministry despite the recent political turmoil as it remains focused on handling the Covid-19 virus outbreak.

Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the ministry’s services are unaffected, adding that he has taken charge of running the department’s day-to-day affairs.

“So far, we have continued to do what we do best. We are a technical ministry and our services continue,” he told FMT.

He added that a press conference will be called if the need arises, although there have been no new cases of the disease recently.

Only two more patients are left in the isolation ward as 20 of the 22 cumulative Covid-19 cases have already recovered and been discharged.

The health ministry has garnered praise for its effectiveness in containing the virus and treating patients, even receiving plaudits from World Health Organisation (WHO) representative Dr Lo Ying-Ru.

Health minister Dzulkefly Ahmad had posted a “farewell” message on Monday in the wake of Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s resignation as prime minister amid talk of a political realignment.

While giving an update on the Covid-19 case on Twitter, he ended the message saying: “This is my last tweet as the health minister. Thank you.”

The Yang di-Pertuan Agong gave his consent to Mahathir’s decision to revoke all ministerial appointments in the wake of his resignation, causing the collapse of the Pakatan Harapan coalition government.