Ministry praises doctor who quarantined himself

Pantai Hospital in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.

[Editor’s note: An earlier report which quoted the Health director-general telling the public to avoid the Pantai Hospital area has been confirmed to be not true. Read the denial here.]

KUALA LUMPUR: Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah today praised the quick action taken by Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur cardiologist Dr Sanjiv Joshi who voluntarily distanced himself from the hospital, clinic and his family for 14 days.

In a statement issued on Facebook, Noor Hisham said Sanjiv, despite testing negative for Covid-19, continues to quarantine himself during the incubation period as “prevention is better than cure”.

“Dr Sanjiv was treating Case 29 (a 35-year-old woman who shared a room with Case 24) who later tested positive for Covid-19. Dr Sanjiv then voluntarily distanced himself (from the public) for 14 days. I hope those who came into close contact with him will emulate his action to do what is right,” he said.

He was commenting on a statement issued by Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur today that the private hospital had quarantined all of its staff and patients who came in contact with the Japanese patient (Case 24) since Feb 26, with Covid-19 tests were carried out on them. A student nurse and a patient tested positive.

Earlier, there was also a viral WhatsApp message asking the public to avoid Pantai and Bangsar areas over the next 10 days where Sanjiv is in quarantine since one of his patients (Case 29) who was admitted in Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur caught the coranavirus from Case 24.

Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur in a statement said the student nurse (Case 27) was admitted to Kuala Lumpur Hospital on Feb 29 after coming into contact with the Japanese patient (Case 24) on Feb 21 and 22 .

“All staff and patients who had been in contact with the student nurse have been traced and placed under quarantine. Preliminary Covid-19 tests on them have been negative and their condition will continue to be monitored,” said the statement.

The third patient is the country’s 29th case (a 35-year-old Malaysian woman) who shared a room with Case 24. She tested positive on Feb 29 and is currently in an isolation ward at Sungai Buloh Hospital.

Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur also said it would continue to adhere to infection control policies and processes and comply fully with preventive measures set by the health ministry to keep of its staff and patients safe.

“The hospital is practising multiple preventive measures including limiting entry points to the hospital and checking the temperature and symptoms of everyone who comes to the hospital.

“As such, clinical services at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur are not affected and patients can continue with their existing care plans at the hospital,” said the statement.