MELAKA: All 13 Barisan Nasional (BN) state assemblymen in Melaka today pulled out from a coalition supposed to form the new state government with two state assemblymen from PPBM.
Melaka Umno chairman Ab Rauf Yusoh said the 13 BN assemblymen, all from Umno, will now instead work with Rembia assemblyman Muhammad Jailani Khamis (PKR) and Pengkalan Batu assemblyman Norhizam Hassan Baktee (DAP).
“I hereby confirm that 13 BN assemblymen, together with assemblymen from Rembia and Pengkalan Batu, will form a new pact, supported by a sworn statutory declaration, to be presented to Yang di-Pertua Negeri Melaka Mohd Khalil Yaakob.
“Without jeopardising the cooperation and spirit of coalition at the federal level, the coalition of 13 BN with two PPBM assemblymen — Mohd Rafiq Naizamohideen (Paya Rumput) and Noor Effendi Ahmad (Telok Mas) — is no longer in force, with immediate effect,” Rauf said at a press conference here today.
Last Monday, Khalil received representations that Chief Minister Adly Zahari no longer commanded the confidence of the majority of the state assembly.
Rauf hoped to meet the Yang di-Pertua Negeri Melaka as soon as possible.
At the meeting, Rauf said a candidate from among the 13 BN state assemblymen will be named as candidate for the post of chief minister.
Asked whether there would be a power struggle for the post of Melaka chief minister, Rauf said they will accept whatever decision made by Khalil.
“We had contacted the two PPBM representatives, but they did not respond.
“We are not opposing the Perikatan Nasional pact, but we are against the representatives and characters from PPBM who do not respect us,” he added.
A later report said the swearing-in of the new chief minister of Melaka scheduled for tomorrow had been postponed to Monday, March 9.
Melaka state secretary Hasim Hasan said in a statement today that the event will take place at 3.30pm at Dewan Seri Utama in the Office of the Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Melaka in Ayer Keroh here.