GEORGE TOWN: Mosques in Penang will not hold prayers, including the weekly Friday congregation, throughout the Covid-19 movement restriction order which expires on March 31.
Penang mufti Wan Salim Wan Mohd Noor said religious talks, marriages and all other events have also been cancelled, following a decision by the state fatwa committee.
He said the decision was based on the stand taken by National Islamic Affairs Council recently.
He said the azan, or call to prayer, would still be sounded five times a day, with a minor amendment to tell Muslims to pray in their homes.
He added that authorities will consult with the state health department on whether to extend the suspension.
Penang has so far confirmed 15 Covid-19 cases, with one discharged.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA