PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Bar wants the judiciary to review its directive on e-filing of civil cases following the imposition of the government’s two-week movement control order (MCO) to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.
Its president Salim Bashir said a number of lawyers were unable to do e-filing of documents, notices and other ancillary applications within the required period of time under the law.
“The judiciary must use its discretion fairly and mercifully in entertaining extension of time applications after March 31,” he said in a statement.
Salim said the Bar had been made to understand that due to the MCO, lawyers were unable to go to their offices to retrieve files and documents and use their facilities to do e-filing.
He said some were unable to engage with clients to obtain instructions.
Salim hoped the judiciary would appreciate the concerns and appeals of lawyers for space to deal with the situation on the ground.
On Monday, Federal Court chief registrar Ahmad Terrirudin Mohd Salleh issued a directive that all court proceedings nationwide would be suspended until March 31 following the government’s announcement of the MCO on Monday.
The directive stated that lawyers could proceed to do e-filings and attend e-reviews of cases at the nearest courts which had installed such facilities.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA