2 more virus deaths, total now 8

Two new deaths from Covid-19 were reported today, from the cluster of cases related to the Sri Petaling Mosque tabligh convention.

PETALING JAYA: The director-general of health Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah has announced two more deaths related to Covid-19 as of 6.30pm just now.

In a statement to the press, he said the cases, which were reported to the Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC), bring the cumulative number of deaths to eight.

Both cases are linked to the Sri Petaling Mosque tabligh convention cluster.

He said the additional four deaths reported after noon today, including two from Sarawak, will be included in tomorrow’s census.

The two Sarawak victims were a 79-year-old woman and her 40-year-old daughter, both from Kuching. The mother died at a private hospital on March 18 while her daughter died today at Sarawak General Hospital.

Another family member tested positive for Covid-19 and is on life support at the hospital. “The source of their infection is being investigated,” the state crisis command centre said.

The latest death in the peninsula was that of a patient in Melaka who had been admitted on March 12 with severe acute respiratory infection. His health deteriorated and he was confirmed dead at 1.30am today.

Yesterday, a 58-year-old man, also linked to the Sri Petaling cluster, died in Tawau hospital.

Malaysia’s first two deaths were reported on Tuesday: a 60-year-old pastor in Sarawak, and a 34-year-old man from Johor Bahru who had attended the Sri Petaling tabligh gathering.