PETALING JAYA: A 57-year-old woman, believed to be a health ministry official, was confirmed tonight as the latest to die of Covid-19, bringing the death toll to 35.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the woman had travelled to Indonesia. She was admitted to Putrajaya Hospital on March 17 and tested positive for Covid-19 the next day.
“Her health deteriorated day by day and she passed away at 4pm today,” he said.
He did not identify the woman. However, health minister Adham Baba said in a posting on Facebook that the patient was attached to the ministry’s human resources division.
“Her death is a loss to the Health Ministry,” he said.
The Covid-19 pandemic has infected 2,470 people and caused a national shutdown of public activities in Malaysia.
Earlier this evening, Putrajaya ordered a lockdown of seven villages in Sungai Lui, in Hulu Langat district, Selangor, after 74 cases of Covid-19 infections were reported at a tahfiz school.
The area is the second to be placed under an Enhanced Movement Control Order, after Simpang Renggam, Johor.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA