Sarawak records 28 new Covid-19 cases, total now 239

Fire and Rescue Department personnel carry out disinfecting work outside a bank in Satok, Kuching.

KUCHING: Twenty-eight more people have tested positive for Covid-19 in Sarawak, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 239.

The state disaster management committee said 25 of the new cases have been warded in the Sarawak General Hospital and the other three in the Miri Hospital.

There are 130 new persons under investigation (PUI), making the total 1,509. Of these, 1,130 had tested negative while another 140 are waiting for laboratory test results.

It was reported earlier today that Deputy Chief Minister Awang Tengah Ali Hasan; Sarawak disaster management committee chairman and Deputy Chief Minister Douglas Uggah Embas; Welfare, Community Well Being, Women, Family and Childhood Development Minister Fatimah Abdullah; and Housing and Local Government Minister Dr Sim Kui Hian had been ordered to undergo self-quarantine after attending a meeting with a Covid-19 positive case on March 27.

None of them has tested positive or shown symptoms of the virus.

This comes after reports that Assistant Transport Minister Dr Jerip Susil was tested positive and is being treated at the Sarawak General Hospital.

The number of deaths in the state remains at nine.

Meanwhile, the disaster management committee said it had been agreed that Sarawakians returning from overseas may undergo 14 days’ quarantine in the state instead of Kuala Lumpur.