PUTRAJAYA: More than 15,000 people living around the Kuala Lumpur Wholesale Market in Selayang will be checked for Covid-19.
Federal Territories Minister Annuar Musa said they hope to screen 1,500 people today and complete this exercise in one week’s time.
“It is indeed a big challenge for us to monitor the large number of residents and they are mostly foreigners.
“Previously, we had 20 cases reported around the market and later one death. A Myanmar national from the area was reported to have died as he came too late to seek treatment,” Annuar said on his Facebook video today.
He said there were three times more residents in Selayang than residents around Jalan Masjid India.
Earlier today, Defence Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said areas around the wholesale market would be placed under enhanced movement control order (EMCO) from today until May 3, involving eight parcels.
It is the third location in the city centre under lockdown, after Menara City One at Jalan Dang Wangi, and the Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion off Jalan Masjid India.
Annuar said 500 medical officers would be placed at six stations around the Selayang market area to carry out the checks on the residents.
“We have also prepared mobile toilets for them to shower after they have completed their work shifts,” he said.
He also said he would welcome anyone willing to donate food or financial aid to the residents during the two-week lockdown.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.