No deaths but 38 new cases reported

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia recorded another day of higher Covid-19 recoveries than new cases, with 100 patients discharged today.

At a press conference, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah also announced there were no new casualties, meaning the death toll remains at 98.

A total of 38 new cases were recorded today, bringing the total to 5,780.

Noor Hisham said 36 patients are currently being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), with 15 cases needing respiratory assistance.

Some 1,820 people are still being treated.

Meanwhile, Noor Hisham said in enhanced movement control order (EMCO) areas, 21,466 people have been screened, with 638 testing positive (2.97%).

Of this, 388 cases (61%) are foreigners, while the remaining 250 cases (39%) are Malaysian citizens.

There are new cases in Menara City One Plaza (one case), Malayan Mansion (five new cases), Pusat Bandar Utara and around the Kuala Lumpur wholesale market (nine new cases).

“On our actions at madrasah or tahfiz schools, as of April 25, some 6,229 students, teachers and staff have been tested for Covid-19, with 341 (5.47%) testing positive.”

At quarantine centres, Noor Hisham said as of April 24, a total of 12,672 Malaysians returning from overseas have been tested for Covid-19, with 139 (1%) testing positive.

Of those who tested positive, 99 had visited Indonesia, 14 had visited the UK, and 13 visited Singapore. The rest are Turkey (five), the Netherlands (three), the United States (two) and one each from Thailand, France and Bangladesh.

“This shows our focused approach is producing the results as we had hoped,” he said, adding they hoped this will stop the spread of the virus among the high-risk groups.

“The health ministry expects more positive cases to be identified in the near future as these focused approaches are still ongoing.”

Closure of Taman Megah market in PJ

On the closure of the Taman Megah market in Petaling Jaya, Noor Hisham said a trader there was found to be positive for Covid-19.

He said the other 60 traders will be screened as they were considered to have had close contact with the positive case.

From experience, the detection rate for the virus among close contacts tested is about 30%, he added.

Noor Hisham also said the ministry will work closely with the police on ensuring better coordination and social distancing at Menara City One Plaza in the Masjid Inda area.

Previously, residents of the condominium, who are under an EMCO, complained about screening procedures.

They alleged that health workers did not practise the right guidelines during a recent screening, leading to between 200 to 300 people gathering at an open area, with social distancing being ignored.

This, residents there said, was not the norm as they were previously tested floor by floor.

Noor Hisham had said yesterday the incident was caused by a mixup.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.