KUCHING: One of four Sarawakians who left the state to attend a tabligh rally in Indonesia which was supposed to be held on March 19 tested positive for Covid-19, a Sarawak minister revealed today, a month after the man returned.
Deputy Chief Minister James Masing said the man had re-entered the country via Tawau, Sabah from Nunukan island on March 29 before he was sent to the Balung teachers training institute for a 14-day quarantine.
The other three, he said, had returned to Sarawak via the Immigration, Customs, Quarantine and Security Complex in Tebedu on April 7.
All three were sent to the Sarawak Public Health College for a 14-day quarantine and were released last Friday after testing negative for the virus.
Last month, it was reported that enforcement authorities in Sarawak were on the lookout for the return of the four Sarawakians as it was feared that they would sneak into the state through illegal crossings and spread the virus to others.
The tabligh event at Gowa, near the city of Makassar in South Sulawesi province, was cancelled two weeks after a similar event held in Kuala Lumpur, which led to hundreds of Covid-19 infections.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.