PUTRAJAYA: Senior Minister for Security Ismail Sabri Yaakob says the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) locking down the area around the Kuala Lumpur wholesale market in Selayang and Pusat Bandar Utara will be lifted today.
Speaking at a press conference here today, he said the health ministry had screened all residents there for Covid-19.
The EMCO at Selayang Baru in Gombak however will be extended to an undetermined date.
Ismail also said the National Security Council had decided to end the “educational” phase of enforcing standard operating procedures (SOPs) under the conditional movement control order (CMCO).
“Now the police will be given the authority to take legal action against those who flout the CMCO,” he said.
He said those who violate the SOPs can be fined a maximum of RM1,000, jailed up to six months or both.
He also warned that authorities might return to the MCO if people continued to take advantage of the CMCO.
He said this would depend on public compliance with the standard operating procedures under the order.
“If there is a lot of non-compliance then it is not impossible that in the end, the MCO such as that which was carried out in the first, second and third phases will be introduced again.”
On criticism by human rights groups on the immigration raids on illegal migrants, he said laws against undocumented foreigners exist in every country.
“If there are outside critics, I think they should look at the laws in their own countries – whether or not they allow or open up their countries to whoever wants to enter without documents.”
He added that the raids had been in line with the laws of the country.
“We are just enforcing our own laws,” he said.
Ismail said the task force monitoring compliance with the CMCO conducted 53,250 checks yesterday on 4,229 supermarkets, 1,473 factories, 3,795 restaurants and 2,833 banks.
Checks were also conducted at 924 land transport terminals, 155 water transport terminals and 85 air transport terminals.
The task force also checked 22,849 private vehicles, 1,969 public transport vehicles, 1,628 markets, 3,321 houses of worship, 1,258 recreational areas and 259 construction sites.
A total of 97 disinfection operations meanwhile were carried out in 28 red and yellow zones in 12 states – 34 in Johor, 15 in Sabah and eight in Sarawak.
On another matter, 660 Malaysians returned home yesterday and were placed under mandatory quarantine.
This brings the number of Malaysians at 228 quarantine centres nationwide to 14,012.
A total of 32,263 Malaysians have been put under quarantine since April 3, 24,413 of whom have been discharged.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.