SHAH ALAM: Selangor ruler Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah has consented for the ban on Friday prayers and the five daily prayers in mosques and suraus in Selangor to be extended to June 30 to curb the spread of Covid-19.
The sultan’s private secretary Mohamad Munir Bani said the ruler had given his consent for Friday prayers to be allowed at 39 selected mosques only, with the number of worshippers as previously announced.
“The ban will be reviewed after the first week of this month. If the number of Covid-19 cases drops consistently, the number of worshippers for Friday prayers can be increased and mosques can be opened up earlier in stages, especially those in green zones,” he said in a statement today.
Munir said the azan or call for prayer would be sounded as usual although for the time being, only the imam, bilal and siak will be allowed to perform prayers in mosques and suraus in the state with religious talks continued on social media.
He said Sultan Sharafuddin also urged the public to observe social distancing, wear masks and comply with the instructions and guidelines issued by the health ministry and Selangor Islamic Religious Department to improve the situation so that Muslims can return to pray in mosques.
On April 13, Sultan Sharafuddin ordered a ban on Friday prayers, congregational prayers and religious lectures in mosques, suraus and musollah (prayer rooms) in the state until May 31.
On May 14, following a drop in the number of Covid-19 cases, Sultan Sharafuddin consented for Friday prayers to be held at 39 selected mosques in the state, with congregations of not more than 12 people comprising mosque officials and committee members only.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.