Prosecution seeks to halt Ku Nan’s RM1 million corruption trial pending outcome on judge

Former federal territories minister Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution in former minister Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor’s RM1 million corruption case is seeking to halt the trial pending an appeal at the apex court to reinstate a High Court trial judge to hear the matter.

Deputy public prosecutor Lailawati Ali said they had filed an application to stay the proceedings before High Court judge Muhammad Jamil Hussin last month.

“We want to wait for the outcome at the Federal Court before proceeding before Jamil or otherwise,” she said, adding that their application would be heard on July 17.

The Court of Appeal on Feb 12 allowed Tengku Adnan’s bid to recuse High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali from hearing his corruption case on grounds of possible bias.

Nazlan previously heard the case of Tan Eng Boon, in which the businessman pleaded guilty to abetment in giving Tengku Adnan RM1 million seven years ago.

Tan was fined RM1.5 million for the offence.

Tengku Adnan, popularly known as Ku Nan, was accused of receiving RM1 million from Tan as bribe for the approval of an application by Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd (now known as Paragon City Development Sdn Bhd) to increase the industrial plot ratio of a piece of land at Jalan Semarak. The company belongs to Tan.

The alleged bribe was deposited into a bank account belonging to Tengku Adnan.

In a separate case, the former minister was also accused of receiving RM2 million from another businessman, Chai Kin Kong, despite knowing Chai’s companies had dealings with his ministry at the time.

In his defence, Tengku Adnan said he had not benefitted from the money as it was meant as a political donation for two by-elections.

That corruption case will resume on June 29.