KUALA LUMPUR: The RM1 million corruption trial of Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor has been postponed pending the disposal of the prosecution’s bid to reinstate a High Court judge to try his case.
Deputy public prosecutor Julia Ibrahim told High Court judge Muhammad Jamil Hussin that the Federal Court would only hear their appeal on July 17.
“It depends on the outcome next month of whether our appeal is allowed or not.
“We urge the court to set a mention date pending the appeal,” she said.
Lawyer Tan Hock Chuan raised no objection to having case mention after the appeal.
Jamil then fixed July 24 for the prosecution and defence to update the court.
Julia told reporters later that if the Federal Court ruled in their favour, the case would be heard again before High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali.
Nazlan had heard Tengku Adnan’s case on Sept 20 last year, when Julia read her opening statement and called a witness, Daman Huri Nor from the Parliament and Constitution Affairs Section of the Prime Minister’s Department, to testify.
Nazlan dismissed the defence’s bid to disqualify him on the first day of hearing.
The Court of Appeal later allowed Tengku Adnan’s appeal to recuse Nazlan from hearing the corruption case on grounds that the judge might be biased as he had heard the guilty plea of businessman Tan Eng Boon for abetting in giving Tengku Adnan RM1 million in kickbacks.
Tengku Adnan, popularly known as Ku Nan, was accused of receiving RM1 million from Tan as a bribe for the approval of an application by Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd (now known as Paragon City Development Sdn Bhd) to increase the industrial plot ratio of a piece of land at Jalan Semarak. The company belongs to Tan.
The former minister is also standing trial for a separate case where he was alleged to have received RM2 million from another businessman, Chai Kin Kong, despite knowing Chai’s companies had dealings with his ministry at the time.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.