We were not quizzed, say Penang excos after MACC officers’ visit

Penang Deputy Chief MInister II P Ramasamy speaks to reporters after the departure of the MACC officers at Komtar today.

GEORGE TOWN: Two state executive councillors today said that officers from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) did not ask them any questions but merely spoke to their staff.

Deputy Chief Minister II P Ramasamy said the officers took his working schedule and questioned his two assistants. Earlier, he said, they spoke to three security guards at the lobby entry.

“No files were taken. It was different from the first time when I was questioned (in 2018). They did not ask any questions. The officers then took pictures with me and left,” he said.

Zairil Khir Johari, whose office is next to Ramasamy’s, also said he was not questioned.

“They spoke to my assistants and left. I was not around as I was chairing a state Drainage and Irrigation Department meeting,” he told FMT.

The MACC officers did not speak to reporters when they left the offices about three hours later at 1.15pm.

Ramasamy and former Public Works Committee chairman Lim Hock Seng, whose office is now occupied by Zairil, were questioned in February 2018 in connection with the undersea tunnel and roads project. No action was taken against them then.

It was earlier reported that a former Penang Port Commission official was arrested after giving his statement at the Penang MACC headquarters on Tuesday.

His home was later raided by MACC officials.

MACC previously raided three companies, with a source telling FMT that the crackdown followed the renewal of a corruption probe into the project after the discovery of fresh leads.

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.