SEREMBAN: The family of Franco-Irish teenager Nora Anne Quoirin, who went missing and was later found dead during a family holiday here, welcomed the news that an inquest will be held next month.
The Lucie Blackman Trust (LBT), a charity organisation that provides support for British nationals in crisis overseas, said in a statement to Bernama the family will fully cooperate with the Coroner’s Court and will be present as witnesses via video conferencing due to Covid-19.
“The news that the Coroner’s Court in Seremban has set dates for an inquest commencing Aug 24 is extremely welcome. We are pleased that our mission for justice for Nora is moving forward.
“We have fought very hard to keep Nora’s case alive, after it was initially closed by the police in early 2020.
“It has been our wish all along to have an inquest. This will be crucial in determining the fullest possible picture of what happened to Nora and how her case was dealt with.
“We wish to thank the Coroner’s Court and indeed the Malaysian authorities for their support in this very difficult process,” said the trust, which has been supporting the family since Nora Anne’s disappearance.
Coroner Maimoonah Aid, who fixed the dates for the inquest yesterday, said the proceedings would be for two weeks until Sept 4.
Nora Anne went missing on Aug 4 last year, a day after she and her parents arrived in Malaysia for a two-week holiday at a resort in Pantai here.
Her body was found on Aug 13 near a stream in a hilly area, about 2.5km from the rainforest resort, following a massive search.
The post-mortem report stated that there was no criminal element in her death and it was established that she died due to gastrointestinal bleeding from hunger and stress over a prolonged period.
Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.