Temple devotee questions lack of updates on MACC probe into land deal

Arun Doraisamy (centre) accompanied by lawyer Siti Kasim and members of the Batu Cave temple at the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya today.

PUTRAJAYA: A Batu Caves temple devotee today questioned the lack of updates on an investigation by anti-graft authorities against the chairman of the temple committee regarding allegations linked to a land deal.

Arun Doraisamy, who heads the Reform Batu Caves Task Force, said it had been nearly 500 days since the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission’s (MACC) raid on March 4 last year at the premises of chairman R Nadarajah.

“To date, MACC has failed to make any announcements regarding the status of the case,” he said after submitting a memorandum calling for a review of the case at the MACC headquarters here.

Arun, who was accompanied by lawyer Siti Kasim, also spoke of “bad apples” within the agency whom he claimed had hampered the investigation to protect the temple chairman.

He urged MACC chief Azam Baki to form a special task force to handle the investigation and to provide an official update on the case.

Meanwhile, Siti urged the government to form an independent committee to investigate MACC.

It is understood that the raid last year was in connection with allegations linked to the development of a parcel of land in Kuala Lumpur belonging to the Sri Mahamariamman Devasthanam temple.

MACC officials confiscated cash and valuables amounting to about RM1 million and searched the temple committee’s office in Batu Caves.

Fake or not? Check our quick fake news buster here.